Class cancelled; mandatory attendance at talk by author of Illegal.It was odd to cancel classes two days in a row, but I had to take advantage of the opportunity for students listen to the author of this wonderful memoir who was speaking on our campus. I highly recommend the book (in English) to anyone who is doing community service learning work or who just wants to read a beautifully written memoir.
I'll paste below the email that I sent to students at the beginning of the week. It lays out the work of the second week of this and any CSL course: getting students over the hump of moving from campus to community. Additionally, it shares some links that you might find useful.
Hola. I am delighted to see that so many of you have already signed up for a community partner. ¡Gracias!
A few announcements/reminders about our wiki:
· If you have not yet signed up for your community partner, you need to do so by Monday. (Of course, if you have a problem, just let me know.)
· To sign up, use this wiki. To edit the wiki, you can either create an account at pbworks or submit a request for permission. When you submit a request for permission to edit, I receive an email and then grant you access. I check my email often, but you will not have an immediate response.
· For those of you who have not signed up yet, I would like to see you sign up for one of the schools or SOAR. In both settings you will learn a lot from the children. A lot! And with SOAR, you only have to sign up for one day, not two. (You can help a little before or after and still get your 28 hours.)
- We do not have class on Tuesday, January 23 or Thursday, January 25.
- On Tuesday, those who will work at the Refugee Center (East Central Illinois Mutual Assistance Center) go directly to the Refugee Center for a brief orientation at either 9:30 or 12:30. You can go at either time.
- Students who work at other organizations will follow their supervisors’ instructions about any necessary orientations.
- On Thursday, you will go to one of the events listed on our course calendar (a document you can find on our course Compass site).
- In preparation for those events, please take a look at the book description or even read a chapter or two. (The book is free online through our library. Just click on the “Books” tab and search for “Illegal reflections of an undocumented immigrant.”)
- Megan Gargiulo, who teaches SPAN 232 this semester will attend the noon event. Please sign in with her. I will attend the evening event. Please sign in with me.
Tomorrow I will send personalized emails to everyone about their work in the community. Enjoy your Saturday!
Ann Abbott, Director of Undergraduate Studies
Dept. of Spanish & Portuguese; University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Office hours for Spring 2017: T/R at 11:00 in 4006 FLB, 217-333-6714
Why not study both Spanish and Portuguese?
4.07- My questions to you. Please answer in complete sentences:1. ¿Hola, cómo te llamas? Me llamo Hannah. 2. ¿Te gusta la escuela? Sí me gusta la escuela.3. ¿Cuál es tu clase favorita? Mi clase favorita es inglés4. ¿Cuál clase te gusta mas la clase de ingles o la clase de historia? Megusta la clase de inglés.5. ¿Cómo se llama tu escuela? El nombre de mi escuela es FLVS.Collaboration Assessment GuidePlease complete and submit this four part guide with the collaboration option that you have chosen.Collaboration Description: Describe the lesson or task you completed collaboratively in a paragraph consisting of ±ve or more sentences.Peer and Self Evaluation: Rate each member of the team, including yourself, on each of the performance criteria below. Use the rating scale of three equals above average, two equals average, and one equals below average.Listened to others - 3, 3Showed respect for others' opinions - 3, 3Completed assigned duties - 3, 3Participated in discussions - 3, 3Attended meetings - 3, 3